Yesterday I atttended a workshop run by CE member and good friend Fiona Ferguson – to make a decorated lined zip bag.
My main achievement was to put the zip in neatly – something that has always been a challenge so I was quite pleased with the end result – not couture standard but more than acceptable for a first effort.
And… this is my second attempt….
Yesterday was a quiet day s what better way to spend it than in the sewing room. Having recently bought 5 metres of faux suede fabric which was going cheap because it might come in handy one day I set to work making some little bags that could be used for charity fundraising later in the year.
First off a batch of little Easter bunny bags….
Easter bunny bags
and then a little bag lined with a scrap of cotton patchwork fabric with a sheep and wool design on it. I have decorated the front of the bag with with ribbon that says ‘ewe are so special’. I have made similar bags in the past which have been used as children’s knitting bags and they have contained small pairs of knitting needles and balls of wool.
Finally, I cut out a Scottie dog from a recycled Burberry skirt and embellished the front of the bag with it. And… the little dog is sporting a bit of bling with his diamante collar
I intend to make more of the Scottie dog bags to donate to the Ty Hafan Emporium in Cowbridge to boost their fundraising. The manager there runs a great craft group who are prolific in creating some amazing items for sale. It is certainly worth taking a look.
Posted in Bags
Tagged bags, balls of wool, bling, Bunny, bunny bags, Burberry, Burberry skirt, carft group, charity fundraising, children's knitting needles, childrens bags, collar, cotton fabric, diamante, diamante dog collar, Easter, Easter Bunny, ewe, fabric lining, faux suede fabric, fundraising, knitting bag, knitting needles, patchwork fabric, ribbon, scottie dog, sewig room, sewing room, sheep, sheep and wool cotton fabric, skirt, Ty Hafan, Ty hafan Emporium, wool
As they went down so well last year I have been making more Christmas sacks … and as well as using the reindeer image from last year I have created a Gingerbread man image, which looks quite cute!
My latest make which is in demand is this Advent cushion. A novel idea with a lovely Christmas decoration which I found on my trip to new York last year!
On a visit to New Zealand in January this year I picked up a lovely pattern for a Christmas tree wallhanging and in time for the festive season I have made it!
The swirls are made with scraps of black print cotton fabrics and the circles and star are made from a corron print that I bought in New Zealand. It is stitched on to a linen background and embellished with tiny diamante before stretching on to an artists canvas.
After muttering to myself that it was far too early to be having selection boxes and decorations in the shops I find myself planning a design for this years Christmas cards to send to friends! And below is one design that I have created.
First step was to dye the fabric which I then overprinted with a rollergraph. I then added foil and chose an embroidery stitch from my sewing machine to add a little texture. To finish off I added a wooden Christmas tree which was cut from a roll of Christmas string.
I have been experimenting with pipe cleaners to make these ones -a bit fiddly but they do look quite effective when completed. I have made a stamp with string to see what printed ones will look like?
Posted in Cards
Tagged Christmas, Christmas cards, Christmas string, Christmas tree, decorations, fabric painting, foil, foiling, painted fabric, pipe cleaner Christmas tree, pipe cleaners, rollergraph, rusting fabric, selection boxes, stamp, stamp for printing, wooden Christmas tree
Inspired by the indigo bath experimentation and as the sun was shining I decided to play around with dyeing some fabrics in the garden.
I used the polystyrene balls again to see what effect I could achieve with fabric paints. I painted this sample red as I have an idea for making Christmas cards similar to the abstract fabric ones I made last year
I then used bull dog clips to concertina the fabric which was then painted green and left in the sun. The colour isn’t strong but it has given and interesting stripe design to the fabric.
I painted a piece of fabric orange, scrunched it up in the tray and left it to dry – close to another piece of fabric – hence the tinge of green!
I plan to use the orange and green colours on an autumnal theme that I have in mind.
And finally, I used bubble wrap over painted fabric, which wasn’t as effective as previously so I will be overdyeing that piece of fabric!
Posted in Fabric Dyeing and Printing
Tagged autumn, autumnal, bulldog clips, Christmas, Christmas cards, fabric dyeing, Fabric paints, gree dye, indigo bath, orange dye, painted fabric, polystyrene balls, red dye, stripe fabric, sun dyeing
Today I visited a friend to spend the day experimenting with indigo dye and what a lovely day it was too! Having gathered an array of fabrics, string, bulldog clips, elastic bands, thread, polystyrene balls etc we set to work with some interesting results.
We experimented by trapping the polystyrene balls in the fabric with elastic bands which gave these amazing results
Then we used a piece of fabric printed with dragonflies. Here we put a piece of cling film over the dragon fly and then trapped the polystyrene ball underneath with an elastic band.
Next we took a piece of fabric, folded it and sewed it down before dipping it into the indigo, This produced a great effect.
And finally, we overdyed some fabric that I didn’t particularly like – with some very pleasing results!
Now I just need to decide what to do with all these lovely samples!!!!
Posted in Farbic art
Tagged bulldog clips, cling film, dragonfly fabric, elastic bands, fabric dyeing, indigo, indigo dyeing, over printing, polystyrene balls, shibori, string